Monday, September 14, 2009

the big return...

I’m going back to the refugee camp…

This is a sort of a huge change of plans, but I’m confident that it’s the right thing to do. I learned a lot this past year in creating and running Eat to Feed Liberians and have had a growing list of things I’d have done differently or just simply done in the refugee camp while I still had the chance. While lying on the beach in Zanzibar, I realized that I was at a point where I could actually go back and check things off that list. So.. I’m making the plane changes tomorrow.

I’m going to need a lot of help from anyone that’s willing. This extends way beyond financial donations for the feeding program… From a boat between Mykonos and Athens, these are a few things I predict I’ll need.

-Bodies. I need people to volunteer both at home with fundraising and, if you’re interested, actually in the camp. Email me if you’re interested in any kind of project. I’ll suit it to you.
-Suggestions. Of all kinds. What do you think I should have done differently? Where could I improve? What information do you want from the camp? Anything. Seriously.
-Help registering ETFL as an actual charity, and finding out what is involved in Canada with recruiting volunteers.
-Ideas for finding steady funding. Corporate sponsorship has been tossed around (sorry DEVS students.. I know this is a touchy subject…).

There probably won’t be other international volunteers in the camp so, I’m going to need all the help I can get to build this project into something more substantial. If you have ideas, or want ideas, please email me. Greece seems to have a lot of wireless and a friend has brought my computer over to me.

My blog will make the switch from a travel journal back to the ETFL temporary site in about a week.. so check it if you want to keep involved!

As always, thanks for the help so far… After a few weeks of having no responsibility beyond catching planes, its time to get into this project more than ever before!

Oh yeah and for the trip... Greece is still going well. I've been cruising through the islands for about a week now. Hit up Crete, Santorini, Ios and Mykonos. Spent a lot of time vespaing randomly around them, eating good food and drinking more than we should...

No comments: